Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reading analysis

I started this week’s session by asking Viri: ¿Qué hacen los buenos lectores?  She responded by saying “vean los dibujos y las palabras y los números en las páginas para buscar cosas.”  I believe that she is referring to the non-fiction texts that we have been studying, and the table of contents that we can use to look up different parts of a text.  Since we have been looking at non-fiction texts, I thought it was interested that she incorporated that.  I have to admit that I was a little disappointed to not hear her say think.   We talk a lot about how good readers think about the text and make connections, and she does this to some point. Viri said she prefers non-fiction texts and could tell me what a non-fiction text is.  However, she said that her favorite book is a fiction book called “Tigre, tigre” and I usually see her choose fiction texts over non-fiction.  Viri loves to read one on one with teachers, and also enjoys guided reading groups.  She says that she loves to read at school and at home because reading is fun. 

Viri has been receiving Title services this year as well as guided reading with me and an academic after school program.  After coming into the school year as a non-reader, Viri has made strides in her reading.  Viri is an instructional text reading level 8 in Spanish and a level 0 in English. 

Viri makes connections, predictions and comments about a text when prompted.  However, when she reads, Viri seldom makes connections with the actual text, but may make connections to the pictures on the pages.  When asked to summarize a story, Viri can give an overall idea of things that happen in the text, but she often misses expanding on the details.  When asked to give more details, she often says “no sé que más.”   This is because of her monitoring issues which I explore in the next paragraph.  When I asked Viri to read a story to me in English, she quickly told me that she does not read English.  I asked her to look at the page and tell me if there are any words she might know, or to tell me about the pictures.  She was able to tell me about the pictures and read some of the words on the page to me.  While Viri understands that we read for meaning, she is inconsistent with her usage of comprehension strategies and will seldom use them unless she is prompted. 

When it comes to monitoring, Viri is struggling.  In Spanish, Viri often reads letter reversals in two letter words, and only sometimes go back to reread and correct for meaning.  Viri sometimes reads the first syllable of a word and then fills in what comes next by using a word that might fit in with the picture but not make sense.  For example, Viri read a book in Spanish “Día soleado, día llovioso.”  She read “al” instead of “la” and “ay” instead of “ya.”  I do not think that she would pass the letter reversal part of the Concepts About Print test.  Viri also read “nubes” instead of “nuevo” (there were clouds in the picture) and “lloverá” instead of “llovía.” 

In English, Viri looked at the book “Big or Little” which is a level 2.  This is after she was unable to identify any words in a level 1 book.  Viri said “oh, I know this book.”  She has read this book before in Spanish.  Viri looked at the title and read “Big or little.”  Viri was able to read high frequency words such as “I, big, bus, am, is, a, truck.”  Viri also knew that there was a pattern in the book.  The pattern that repeats itself is “I am little.”  She knew that it said something of that sort, but she consistently substituted the word “tiny” for “little.” 

Viri has had no English literacy instruction in school or at home.  She says that her sister has books in English that she brings home, but that Viri only reads the pictures and doesn’t know the words.  Since Viri is not allowed to speak English at home, I find it interesting that her reading, writing and oral language behaviors are consistently showing an understanding of both the differences and similarities between the two languages.  What is interesting is that while Viri uses Spanish vowel sounds when writing in English, she does not read the same way.  In fact, while she doesn’t like to try words that she is not sure about in English, the words that she does read are not read using her understanding of letter sounds in Spanish, but rather what she knows already about English.   

4 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    I found your analysis of Viri’s reading very interesting. With such a variety of background and academic skills in her two languages, do you find it challenging to find ways to help her grow as a learner? I found it especially interesting that she reads at a level 0 in English and even articulates that she is a non-reader though she reads at a level 8 in Spanish. Do you find that she is associating any of her literacy skills in Spanish to what she is learning in English be it in reading, writing or speaking? We had an 8th grade student come to us last year as a non-reader / writer in his native language and it was almost impossible to even know where to start. I wonder how quickly she associated concepts to what she is learning in English.

    It is also very impressive that Viri has already acquired the skills to maneuver a text book, what an invaluable skill for her to have for her future learning. Is this something that you would expect all of your students to be able to do with ease?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney!

    Some of the things that you mentinoned in your reading analysis of Viri sound a lot like my focus student Cecilia. My student is also reversing letters, guessing at words or completely ignoring them in her reading of Spanish as well as English. The difference is, however, that my student has is a middle schooler and has become English dominant because of the programming she receives at school. Cecilia has had no instruction in Spanish literacy. I am wondering if what we are seeing is just a stage that the students go though when learning to read in Spanish, or it truly is cause for concern? It almost seems to me that Viri is not paying attention to detail because she is trying so hard just to decode what she is reading. That might be why she cannot give you more than the basic details in the story. I would be really curious to see if the difficulties that you are presently seeing with Viri in Spanish will eventually transfer over to English. According to some of our readings this week and what I have seen with my own focus student, my guess would be that they will. Does she ever complain of headaches or the wording dancing around on the page when she reads? If she answers that they do, I would refer her for further evaluation. This is what is happening with my focus student. It is unfortunate that she cannot converse with siblings in English in the home. That would really help her develop confidence in English and help her later on when transferring the oral knowledge that she has in English over to reading skills in English. I have to say, however, considering that she is not being taught English literacy yet, it is impressive that she knows some sight words in English. That is a positive sign I would say. Thanks for sharing Courtney!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,

    I choose to read your blog because I teach in an English dominate school, where I am the only classroom teacher teaching Spanish literacy for a portion of the day. Very different from your own setting!

    I found it interesting that Viri stated that she could not read in English, but was excited to find a book that she has already read in Spanish and therefore, was able to make some translations. It seems that she relies heavily on the pictures still and it is curious to me that she switches letters to produce different words (ya, ay) because of the potential difference in meaning. Some of my Spanish speakers will predict a word instead of actually decoding and reading a word, and that may change the meaning, but they usually do this when the word change does not impact the meaning of the story. Is that what you have found?

    Great write up and very interesting!
    Thanks,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Court~
    Reading more about Viri was really interesting. I can connect to the letter reversal error, as many kids in my class do the same thing. Does she ever self-correct or re-read when she reverses letters or does she just read on? When she does make these errors, what do you do? With my students that make the same errors if they do not self correct I will stop them and ask, 'does that make sense?' I do not want to give them the answer, but rather make them actively think about whether the way way they read the word makes sense. We will have to look more into strategies we can use with our students who make these errors.

    ReplyDelete